IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE
ATTENTION: These terms and conditions apply to the entire contents of this website under the domain name www.lawscotjobs.co.uk (the “Website”) and to any correspondence by email or webmail between us and you. Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using the Website. Using the Website indicates that you accept these terms and conditions regardless of whether or not you are registered with us. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, do not use the Website.
Special words and phrases
1. In these terms and conditions:
“Candidate” means a person who uses the Website for the purpose of finding employment;
“CV Service” means a service whereby Candidates upload their employment resumes or CVs to the Website to be posted on the Website;
“Jobs by Email” means a service which matches and sends vacancies via email to Candidates who have subscribed to this service;
“the Society” means The Law Society of Scotland, Atria One, 144 Morrison St, Edinburgh EH3 8EX and “we”, “us” and “our” shall refer to the Society;
“Service” means any of the services provided by the Company through the medium of the Website, including but not limited to (a) advertising job vacancies, (b) provision of employment-related tips and information, (c) facilities for you to have your information forwarded to prospective employers, (d) identification of which vacancies on the Website are most suitable for you, using the preferences indicated by you and your biographical and employment details supplied to us by you; (e) Jobs by Email; and (f) CV Service;
“Website” means the website published by the Society hosted by Zero One Design Ltd and managed by Connect Publications (Scotland) Ltd and located on the World Wide Web via the uniform resource locator www.lawscotjobs.co.uk;
“Website Information” means any data, images, text or other material displayed on the Website; and
“you” means any person who has viewed, downloaded, used or otherwise accessed the Website and/or Website Information, and “your” shall refer to you.
Operator of the Website
2. The Website is operated by the Society. The Society may be contacted at:
The Law Society of Scotland
Atria One, 144 Morrison St, Edinburgh EH3 8EX
Telephone: +44 (0) 131 226 7411
Fax (Gp 2 & 3) +44 (0) 131 225 2934
3. The Website is managed by Connect Publications (Scotland) Ltd. Connect Publications (Scotland) Ltd may be contacted at:
Suite 6B, 1 Carmichael Place, Edinburgh EH6 5PH
Telephone: +44(0) 131 561 0020
Application of these terms and conditions
4. These are the terms and conditions for the use of the Website. By viewing, downloading, using or otherwise accessing any part of the Website and/or Website Information or by registering to use a Service, you are deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions in full without modification or amendment. These terms and conditions will form a legally binding contract between you and us. If you do not accept these terms and conditions without modification or amendment, you must leave the Website immediately and you may not make any use of the Website Information or services we provide through it.
5. We reserve the discretion to amend these terms and conditions from time to time, in each case with effect from the date on which the amendment is posted on the Website. You should check the Website from time to time to review the then-current terms and conditions. If you continue to use the Website, you will be deemed to have accepted the changes to the terms and conditions. Some of these terms and conditions may be augmented by expressly designated local notices or terms posted by us on the Website.
6. You agree that we shall at all times have the discretion to decide whether or not to grant you access to the Website or Services. We reserve the right from time to time to time to alter or limit the categories of Website Information which you may access and view using the Website or Services. You agree that we may in our discretion alter, modify, add to or erase any Website Information from time to time, without having to give you prior notice.
7. Our Website is made available free of charge. We do not guarantee that our Website, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Website for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
Your use of the Website
8. You warrant to us that when using the Website you will:
9. You agree that we shall be entitled to make all reasonable enquiries prior to accepting your application to use any particular Service. If we are not happy with the information you provide, or if you do not provide all the information we ask for, we reserve the right not to grant you the right not to use that particular Service. Normally you will be able to select your own user name and password but we reserve the right to change these by giving you notice by email to that effect. You agree to keep your user name and password secret and not to disclose or give it to any other person unless with our express consent. You agree to indemnify us for any loss, injury, damage costs or expenses arising directly or indirectly from any disclosure by you or unauthorised use of your user name and password.
Jobs by Email
11. If a Candidate has registered to receive Jobs by Email, the following provisions shall apply:-
12. The Society may refuse to accept, withdraw, or require to be amended, any Candidate information or CV which is, in the Society’s opinion, illegal, immoral, obscene or offensive or so as to comply with the legal or moral obligations placed upon the Society or the Candidate or to avoid infringing a third party’s rights or any statutory or regulatory requirements or is designed to or is likely to cause disruption to any computer system or network.
13. If the Candidate has registered for the CV Service, the following provisions shall apply:-
14. Candidates may opt-out of the CV Service and/or hide their CVs both at the time the CV is placed on the Website, and at any time thereafter. This may be done at registration or by altering the Candidate’s registration preferences accessible by following the CV Service link on the Website.
Copyright, trade marks and your licence to use the Website
15. The Website Information, images, graphics, text, software, applets and scripts owned by us and operating the Website are either owned by the Society, or used by us with the permission of their respective owners or as permitted by law. Where practicable, we acknowledge the owners of all trade marks which are referred to in the Website. Reference to a trade mark owned by a third party does not constitute any claim by us to own that trade mark or that we have rights in it.
16. You may view, print and download our Website Information in a web browser for your own personal use only. Copying Website Information into a computer cache or storage device for private off-line browsing purposes is also permitted, as is caching of the Website by an information service provider in the normal course of its business to the extent permitted by the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002. You may not publish, make a copy of, incorporate into any other web Website, or electronic information storage or retrieval system or reproduce the Website Information or any part of it for any purpose other than your own personal use without prior written consent, which may be granted at our discretion. We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our Website, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. Where we do not own the copyright or other intellectual property rights in the Website Information, you must approach the owner(s) for such consent. Nothing in these terms and conditions or on the Website constitutes a licence to use or copy the Website Information except as expressly provided in these terms and conditions.
17. You may not use any material, electronic method or any type of process which collects, disseminates, removes or scrapes information or material from the Website for commercial purposes without limitation screen aggregators, robots, spiders and scrapers or any other electronic means. If you breach any of the terms and conditions, your permission to use the Website automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any downloaded or printed extracts from the Website.
18. Any rights not expressly granted in these terms and conditions are reserved to the Society.
19. In the event you obtain access to details of another user of the Website, you may only use such information in accordance with all prevailing data protection and privacy laws. Such information must not be used for spam or unsolicited commercial communications.
20. You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from the Website any material:
Privacy, cookies and data protection
Links to and from other websites
22. Links to third party websites on the Website are provided solely for your convenience. If you use these links, you leave the Website. The Society has not reviewed these third party websites and does not control and is not responsible for these third party websites or their content or availability. The Society therefore does not endorse or make any representations about them, or any material found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to the Website, you do so entirely at your own risk.
23. You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it. You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists. You must not establish a link to our Website in any website that is not owned by you. Our Website must not be framed on any other Website, nor may you create a link to any part of our Website other than the home page. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
Accuracy of Website Information
24. The Website Information and the Services are provided “as is” and we make no representation endorsement or warranty as to their respective accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose. We are not liable for any action taken (or any failure to act) in reliance upon the Website Information and such action is taken, and such failure to act is, entirely at your own risk. We reserve the right to make changes to the Website Information and Services to correct any errors or omissions (or for other reasons at our discretion) without notice or liability to you.
25. Opinions expressed within the Website Information are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent our opinions. In the unlikely event that you find any inaccurate information on our Website or have any complaint about what we have published please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internet Service Interruption, Viruses etc.
26. We do not guarantee that our Website will be secure or free from bugs or viruses. We have no control over the Internet, which is a global network of computers and the method by which you have access to the Website. As a consequence we take no responsibility for Service Interruption or the transmission of viruses or other malicious computer code through the Website. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our Website. You should use your own virus protection software.
27. We will require to carry out routine maintenance on our servers and equipment. While we seek to keep disruption to a minimum, we do not guarantee that the Services or any part of the Website will be available for access at any particular time or times. Access to the Website or Services may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of a system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond the Society’s control.
Our Liability to You
28. Nothing in this Agreement shall limit or exclude our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation, or for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or the negligence of our agents or employees. Subject to the foregoing, we will not be liable for any economic losses (including, without limitation, loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings), any loss of goodwill or reputation, or any special, indirect or consequential damages (however arising, including negligence) arising out of or in connection with your use of our Website or our provision of the Services to you. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you and if this is the case then to the fullest extent permitted by law, we exclude all liability to you in contract, delict or negligence (other than negligence by us which gives rise to personal injury or death) arising out of or in connection with your use of our Website or our provision of the Services to you.
29. We also exclude liability of any sort (including liability for negligence) for the acts or omissions of providers of telecommunications services through which you might access the Website or for faults or failure of their networks and equipment.
30. The Website may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the Website. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our Website do not represent our views or values. If you wish to complain about information and materials uploaded by other users please contact us on email@example.com.
Uploading Content to the Website
31. Any content you upload to our Website will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and other users of our Website a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties.
32. We have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our Website constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
33. We have the right to remove any posting you make on the Website if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with reasonable content standards.
34. You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Your liability to us
35. By using the Website and/or Website Information, you undertake to fully indemnify us (and keep us fully indemnified) in respect of all liabilities, losses, costs, damages, expenses or other claims suffered or incurred by us which arise from your misuse of the Website and/or Website Information, or arising from your breach of any of these terms and conditions.
36. We make no representation or warranty in respect of any of the following:
37. If we fail to exercise or delay in exercising any right or remedy provided under these terms and conditions or by law, that will not constitute a waiver of our rights or remedy nor shall it prevent us from exercising that right or remedy in whole or in part in the future.
38. Unless specifically provided otherwise, rights arising under these terms and conditions are cumulative and do not exclude rights provided by law.
39. These terms and conditions and the documents referred to in it are between and for the benefit of you and us (and our successors and assignees) and are not intended to benefit or be enforceable by anyone else.
40. If any provision of these terms and conditions (or part of a paragraph or provision) is found by any court or administrative body of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions shall remain in force.
41. If any invalid, unenforceable or illegal provisions would be valid, enforceable or legal if some part of them or it were erased, the provision shall apply with whatever modification is necessary to give effect to the original intention of these terms and conditions.
42. References to any statute or statutory provision in these terms and conditions shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as a reference to that statute or statutory provision as from time to time amended, consolidated, modified, extended, re-enacted or replaced.
43. In these terms and conditions, references to one gender include the other genders, and to the singular include the plural and vice versa.
44. Headings will not affect the interpretation of these terms and conditions.
45. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with Scots law. Disputes arising in connection with these terms and conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
Our Policy on Cookies
46. We only use Session Cookies to aid your navigation and use of this website while you are accessing this website via a browser, for example, to remember a search you have undertaken or to remember what job you have applied for. The Session Cookies are cleared as soon as your browsing session is completed, you have logged off, or navigated to another website. We do not store your personal information about you, under any circumstances.