A brief description of the role:
An exciting opportunity has arisen within our Legal Services. We are looking to recruit a Principal Solicitor to support the Governance & Assurance Manager in the day-to-day management of the Legal Service.
The Principal Solicitor shall lead and manage a small team of Court and Licensing solicitors to ensure delivery meets performance targets, service objectives and the Council’s statutory obligations.
The team delivers a diverse and complex range of court, licensing and employment legal services and general public sector legal support to the Council organisation wide, and aims to deliver an outcome/client focussed legal service ensuring that we meet client service needs and Council priorities.
The successful post holder will:
- Lead and manage a small team of solicitors and ensure delivery meets performance targets and service objectives;
- Develop and improve services to ensure that the Council delivers its priorities and strategic objectives;
- Ensure a corporate and co-ordinated approach is adopted and maintained in the provision of all services within the Legal Service and Directorate;
- To lead on high-risk court cases, attend Dumfries Sheriff Court in person at short notice and includes leading on proofs and public inquiries;
- Work closely with key client Service Managers, Heads of Service and Directors to help create and embed necessary changes in culture and practice to ensure the Legal Service approach is aligned to corporate objectives and the outcomes are aligned to the Council Plan;
- Ensure productivity and good employee relations are maintained by ensuring the service maintains an enabling outcome/client focussed approach to client services, to apply early intervention and prevention, forward planning and horizon scanning techniques;
- To manage risk and business continuity, promote risk awareness and prioritise work in light of risk analysis;
The successful post holder must:
- Hold a Degree in Scots Law and Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice. They must be admitted as a Solicitor by the Law Society of Scotland with substantial experience and hold a current unrestricted Practising Certificate and preferably a relevant management qualification.
- Have experience at a senior level within legal services successfully managing and leading a team.
- Have substantial relevant experience in a public sector environment or complex organisation or with substantial public sector exposure with a proven record of success
- Have in-depth knowledge and substantial experience of at least one of the significant functions or teams within Court and Licensing team.
- Have sound knowledge of budgetary control techniques, quality and assurance systems and performance monitoring tools.
- Have an understanding of the workings of local government and required sensitivity within a political environment
- Knowledge and understanding of underpinning government strategies, policies, and guidance.
- Have a good understanding of local authority constraints, policies, procedures, and processes.
If successful, you may be required to undertake a Disclosure Scotland check, the level of check will be determined by the duties of the post. If you would like further information in relation to the Disclosure Scotland checks, please visit www.disclosurescotland.co.uk
For further information please contact:
Governance & Assurance Manager
Tel: 07920 071064
Please fill in the form, upload your CV to complete your application. You will also register during this process to enable you to log in track you application and setup Job Alerts.