We currently have an exciting opportunity for a newly qualified solicitor to join our Construction & Engineering Team.
The team provides a full service advisory and dispute resolution service to clients from across the construction industry and is regularly involved in the most complex, high value construction disputes in Scotland. It also advises on disputes in England and Wales and Ireland.
In this role, you will work closely with the partners advising clients in both the public and private sectors including developers, contractors, consultants, insurers and funders. You will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide variety of work including contentious claims and insurance disputes across a range of formal dispute proceedings including mediation, adjudication, litigation and arbitration.
The work is interesting, seldom straightforward and you will need to be able to understand the commercial reasons behind the legal work you will be doing. You will work closely with existing clients and also be part of the continuing efforts of the team to win new clients and business. In addition, our role offers clear career paths and significant opportunities for career advancement.
• Assisting more senior members of staff in the following ways:
• Reviewing, analysing and providing opinions on all forms of construction contracts and supporting documentation
• Compilation of evidence from client papers and witness statements to analyse factual position in a dispute
• Legal analysis of the client’s position in light of the evidence prepared
• Advising the client of the merits of their position and providing strategic advice on the most appropriate and cost effective way to bring about a resolution. Reporting regularly to clients on progress and keeping strategy under review
• Drafting pleadings and submissions
• Appearing in court, mediation, adjudication, expert determination, and arbitration, acting as advocate on behalf of the client
• Negotiating settlements
• Supporting and developing the team’s marketing initiatives including drafting articles and presenting at seminars.
• Maintaining good financial management of cases
• Assisting in the training of the team’s trainee
• Works effectively with other team members, and able to work as part of a team on larger cases
• Represents clients in Court of Session and Sheriff Court
• Involved in alternative forms of dispute resolution
• Works to understand the department’s key clients, the industry they operate in and the challenges they face
• Can work efficiently and to tight deadlines
• Has strong drafting skills and works in a logical and manner
• Provides client advice that is well presented and tailored to their needs
• Maintains regular contact with the clients and shows understanding of the priorities for the client
• Communicates in a confident, clear and relaxed way
• Displays an interest and enthusiasm for contentious construction work
• Self-motivated and driven
• Prepared, organised and able to prioritise
• Applied knowledge
• Commercial and profit focus
• Conduct and communication skills
Don’t miss out on this fantastic opportunity, apply now. To discuss this role in more detail, call Sarah Gracie on 0141 410 1028
If this role isn’t quite what you are looking for, register your CV at www.edenscott.com and be the first to hear about our latest opportunities by signing up for our job alerts.
Please fill in the form, upload your CV to complete your application. You will also register during this process to enable you to log in track you application and setup Job Alerts.