We advise and represent clients, who are eligible for criminal legal aid, in relation to summary and solemn cases at every level and in Scotland’s busiest courts all over the country.
We have a permanent solicitor vacancy within our Inverness office, primarily dealing with duty solicitor work both at courts and at police stations. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly motivated team dedicated to providing the best possible service to clients.
Speculative applications are also welcome for our other PDSO offices – Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Ayr, Falkirk and Kirkwall.
- Provide advice and representation to clients who are subject to criminal investigations or criminal proceedings.
- Apply/adhere to practices, procedures and Codes of Practice to ensure the maximum efficiency and effectiveness of the PDSO.
- Build effective relationships with clients and key contacts through appropriate contact.
- Represent the PDSO in its relationship with outside bodies as required.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Drive / Self-motivation – ability to work in a purposeful way to achieve results, using own initiative to make things happen; working to high standards to produce high quality output and delivering the best possible service and case outcome for clients.
- Excellent presentation skills with well-developed communication skills (written and oral) – able to influence and persuade others, verbally and in writing, in such a way as to be clearly understood.
- Sound Judgement – able to evaluate information and courses of action to reach logical and objective decisions about what is most likely to lead to the desired result.
- Good Planning and organising skills – able to achieve results in a qualitative, timely and cost-effective way; set priorities; plan the efficient use of resources; and monitor progress against objectives.
- Full, post-qualified and unrestricted practising certificate from the Law Society of Scotland.
- Valid driving licence.
- At least a year of criminal court experience in Scots Law and in advising and assisting suspects in police detention (desirable).
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, time and case recording (desirable).
In return our benefits package includes a competitive holiday entitlement and a contributory defined benefit pension scheme.
To apply, please www.slab-vacancies.org.uk for further information and to apply online. For assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0131 240 2027. Completed applications should be returned by 19th February. Interviews will likely take place in Inverness in early March.