Cognizant seeks to recruit a Corporate Counsel, which will be based in Glasgow, focusing on the UK business and will involve daily exposure to our clients and Cognizant senior management. The role will encompass a wide variety of commercial issues and transactions, varying in nature, complexity and value.
The Corporate Counsel is responsible for the coordination and management of legal issues involving Cognizant’s UK operations. The Corporate Counsel will collaborate with local (outside) counsel as required on issues of local law.
Although this role will be part of the EMEA legal team, all of our lawyers work very closely with Cognizant’s legal teams in the US and India.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include providing support on technology and outsourcing contracts, as well as other issues that arise on a daily basis. The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for the legal review and negotiation of commercial agreements with clients in a broad range of industries. The Corporate Counsel will work on all phases of deals, ranging from the proposal/bid review stages, right through to final negotiation and post signature issues. The Corporate Counsel will have frequent contact with internal business teams and quickly gain an understanding of Cognizant’s business.
The candidate will have demonstrated post qualification experience in private practice or as in-house counsel. Commercial law experience is essential both in terms of commercial law and a commercial attitude; experience working on IT contracts or IP licensing agreements is highly desirable as is an interest in the technology industry.
Skills necessary to fulfill the job successfully include:
• In depth knowledge of contract law.
• Ability to balance legal risks with commercial needs.
• Able to communicate effectively with people at all levels of our organisation and within our clients; both orally and in drafting.
• Able to multitask with rapidly changing priorities and to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic environment.
• Self-starter and able to work independently.
• People management skills.
• Flexible, strong and self-assured personality.
• Experience to operate within an international environment with a diversity of cultures.
• Service provider.
• Possess analytical problem solving and project management skills.
• Commercial “client first” mentality