Research and Innovation Services (RIS) is the central professional services office at the University of Dundee. We provide integrated research funding development, commercialisation and business engagement to academic researchers, supporting the delivery of strategic priorities and generate academic, economic and societal impact.
The post will report to the Senior Contracts Manager and will involve drafting, negotiating and reviewing research and related contracts on behalf of the University of Dundee, including agreements relating to industry sponsored research collaborations, EU contracts, charitable funding and research consortium agreements, along with NDAs, service, consultancy and material transfer agreements. There is also the possibility of future involvement in contracting for intellectual property commercialisation licences/assignments and company formation-related agreements.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a legal or in-house contractual background to further enhance their legal skills. The successful candidate will be self-motivated and highly organised, an excellent communicator and problem solver with sound commercial judgement and attention to detail, looking to branch out into supporting all academic research areas and develop skills in the areas of technology transfer and intellectual property, in support of the University of Dundee’s mission to transform lives. If this sounds like you and you would like to support a diverse range of disciplines including Life Sciences, Medical School, Science and Engineering, Art and Design, Social Sciences and Humanities then this position is for you.
Your priorities will include:
- Review, draft and negotiate a range of research and commercial contracts covering the full spectrum of research related activities.
- Provide clear, pragmatic advice on the implications of contractual terms within the context of the research, using a comprehensive working knowledge of research contract issues, such as confidentiality, publication requirements, intellectual property, VAT and other related issues.
- Ensure that contractual terms are clear and appropriate, and that institutional risk is identified and appropriately assessed within each contract, whilst meeting the University’s approved contractual position.
- Interact with external clients, as appropriate, to communicate clearly and concisely the points of negotiation, and work internally with the appropriate researcher, and the research development or knowledge exchange lead.
- Build, develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, both inside RIS, with a particular emphasis on the relationship with the Research Development and Knowledge Exchange teams, and outside of RIS, such as Research Finance Services, central Legal office and the academic researchers across the Schools.
Who we’re looking for:
- Applications are invited from solicitors with a minimum 2 years PQE or individuals with relevant in-house legal/contracts experience. Direct experience of broader technology transfer roles, technology licensing and commercialisation, and a good understanding of the legal frameworks which support collaborative R&D projects are desirable but not essential.
- The candidate must be able to communicate effectively and to establish rapport and credibility with commercial counterparts and University of Dundee colleagues, as well as contracts counterparts and research and administration staff of other academic institutions.
- The candidate should have an excellent track record in drafting and negotiating contracts (ideally research contracts) and completing complex deals in a pragmatic manner, underpinned with a sound working knowledge of intellectual property rights within the academic research sector.
- The ability to provide commercial input into negotiations, to be motivated and pro-active, and work successfully both as part of a team and independently is absolutely critical to this role.
- Strong problem-solving and deal-making skills are an essential component, together with the ability to manage and prioritise a varied work-load from multiple clients to achieve required commercial deadlines and deliver in a time pressured environment.
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please contact Pauline Cheung or Martin Wilkie. To find out more about Research and Innovation Services please visit our website.
The closing date for applications is midnight on 3rd October 2018.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.